Frequently Asked Questions - Vocational Education & Training (VET) Courses

1. What are work placements?

Structured Workplace Learning (referred to as work placement) is the on the job training component of Vocational Education & Training (VET) courses in school programs available to secondary students.

During the HSC, students who are undertaking vocational courses are required to complete a total of 70 hours with a host employer (Generally 35 hours in Year 11 and 35 hours in Year 12. Work placements allow VET Students to perform hands on tasks in the workplace that are related to competencies in their course.

Work placements are viewed by employers as an essential part of a VET course as they give students a real insight into industry.

2. How is work placement different to work experience?

The key points that differentiate work placement are as follows:

In contrast work experience involves:

3. What are the benefits to your business?

As a Host Employer you will;

Vocational Education & Training (VET) courses are taught by qualified teachers at school, TAFE or an EVET provider. Not all schools can offer all VET courses which means you may need to travel to another school to complete a course. You will need to check with your school to make sure that your selected VET course fits to your school timetable.

4. What is your role as a host employer?

Host employers should aim to provide students with as many hands-on tasks as possible. Work Placement is a great opportunity for students to combine classroom and on the job learning to develop industry skills. Meaningful work and learning opportunities often create better results, as students genuinely feel like they have contributed to the business.

In the student’s work placement journal, there is a list of suggested student activities to assist you in planning tasks for the student.

A host employer must provide;

A host employer will be required to;

5. What about payment?

No payment or remuneration is required whilst on work placement. Any remuneration to a student will change the status of the student to an ’employee’ and make the host employer responsible for the provision of worker’s compensation insurance.

6. What about insurance?

The Department of Education & Communities covers the insurance for all secondary students attending public schools whilst on work placement. Independent and Catholic Schools arrange insurance for all Private and Catholic School students. 

These policies cover injury to the student as well as third party property damage caused by student negligence.

For more details refer to the Employer’s Guide to Workplace Learning Form

7. What are the legal obligations?

Your legal responsibilities relating to the duty of care are the same as for all persons in your employment. However, the younger age and lower maturity level of school students generally requires a greater level of care and supervision. 

8. What happens if there is an accident?

9. What about confidentiality?

Confidentiality is addressed in the early part of Vocational Education training. Students must have a clear understanding of confidentiality before they can be assessed as ‘work ready’ by their teacher.

If your organisation uses a standard Confidentiality Agreement for employees, you are entitled to ask visiting students to comply with your company policy.

10. Interested, want to get involved?

Call Career Links on 02 4967 1050.